Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Spring! Spring! Spring!


Yesterday was glorious! Sunshine, no rain, barely a breeze. Yippeee!!! Spring is here!  I spent most of the day weeding and generally sorting out the garden as I had a day off from work.  My poor garden is rather battered by the stormy winds we had most of last week.  Wind is common in Orkney but we usually have lighter winds in the Spring and not so sustained.  Not sure if some things will ever recover :-(

But last night's sunset was absolutely wonderful!  I appreciated it all the more because the sunshine had been in short supply for a while.

Out in the garden I could hear the blackbird, wren and sparrows in the willow trees. Starlings were flying through the garden, swallows swooping overhead.  And in the field next to the garden, oystercatchers, lapwings, curlews and the odd pheasant were clearly also enjoying the sun.  I could hear the seals down by the rocks calling to each other.  It was just a blissful day to be outdoors.

My hens (and cockerel) enjoyed sunbathing too!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, what a glorious sunset, Sian! Glad your wind has dies down.

    Sunday and yesterday were pretty miserable down here, very chilly with a lot of rain. It's improving now, thank goodness, so we can take the grandsons out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo - our all-to-brief spring has turned into miserable summer already. Our high of 96F today broke a 70-year-old record for the date. And we're supposed to have more of the same the rest of the week. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perpetua - hope the weather is kind to you today and you have been able to venture forth with the grandsons. Cooped up grandsons is not a pleasing prospect!

    MaryZ - I've heard about your extreme temps. I think I'll keep our cool but moderate climate thanks very much! Wind and rain back again today - ho hum....

    ReplyDelete