Click on pictures to see them enlarged in a photo stream. Comments: word verification on to allow anyone to comment but try and deter excessive amounts of spam! I LOVE getting comments!

Monday 5 May 2014

"When life gives you lemons...."



..... make lemon curd!  Though to be honest it was the girls giving me a surplus of eggs that got me started. I'd never been a fan of lemon curd till I tried the home made variety. So with a glut of eggs I decided to give it a try.  I used this recipe and it was really straightforward to make.  As you can see I made a little more than two 8oz jars, possibly because the lemons were large and I got a lot of juice out of them, and my girls lay large eggs too!  But it worked out fine.

Now because it's home made this needs to be kept in the fridge and will only last two weeks. However my plan is to give some of it away.  I do various exchanges for other goodies with friends and so it's nice to have something to add to it.

But of course one mustn't use ALL the lemons in lemon curd..... you need to save one for the G&T (gin & tonic).




And for my next trick...... must try THIS recipe for a nice tangy twist on the classic Victoria Sponge.  And before you have me down as some sort of culinary goddess, NOTHING is further from the truth! But I do enjoy experimenting with some home made goodies in the kitchen when time and energy permits. Plus I'm trying to eat more healthily so if I eat "unhealthy" things like cakes, jams etc then at least if I make them myself they are free of additives and I know what goes into them. Plus they ALWAYS taste nicer than shop bought (even if they don't always LOOK nicer).


5 comments:

  1. looks so tasty. i always wanted a lemon tree in my garden .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some folk here will have lemon trees in their conservatory or greenhouse, but we could never really grow them outdoors. I LOVE lemons! And limes too...

      Delete
  2. Mmm, lemons. :-) I love lemon curd, but sadly it's rather too expensive to make your own when you have to buy all the ingredients. Lemon drizzle cake on the other hand is one of my specialties.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is hardly a frugal way of eating! But I enjoyed making the lemon curd and will make some more again. So much nicer than the cloying stuff with preservatives I remember as a child!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, home made lemon curd, and T&T (Tanqueray and Tonic) !

    Heaven :)

    ReplyDelete